Connect with us

World News

Police in London arrests 3 men following an explosion outside Liverpool hospital



Police in London has arrested several people behind the explosion that killed one man and left many injured in front of Liverpool Women’s Hospital on Sunday.

Authorities said the three men were arrested and detained in the Kensington area of Northwest England under close supervision by the Terrorism Act.

Officers arrested the three men, aged 29, 26 and 21, in Liverpool’s Kensington district under the anti-terrorism laws, Greater Manchester Police said in a tweet.

The man killed in the blast has not yet been identified, the statement said. The injured man, who was driving, was in a stable condition in hospital.

Police also cordoned off another residential street in the city. They did not disclose details of the operation.

Police were called to report a blast involving a taxi at Liverpool Women’s Hospital on Sunday morning. Photos showed a vehicle in flames near the hospital’s main entrance.

Merseyside police, who cover Liverpool, said in a separate statement that while anti-terrorism police were leading the investigation, the blast has not yet been declared a terrorist incident.

They were keeping an open mind as to the cause of the blast, the force added.

“So far we understand that the car involved was a taxi which pulled up at the hospital shortly before the explosion occurred,” said Merseyside police.

The male passenger of the car died and the driver was being treated for non-life-threatening injuries, police said.

The explosion occurred just before 11 am on Remembrance Sunday, the time people across Britain paused in memory of those killed in wars.

Police said the explosion had not been declared a terrorist attack and they were keeping an open mind about the cause, but counter-terrorism police were leading the investigation.

Britain’s interior minister, Home Secretary Priti Patel, said she was “being kept regularly updated on the awful incident.”

The Liverpool Women’s Hospital said it immediately restricted visiting access until further notice and diverted patients to other hospitals “where possible.”

Fire services said they extinguished the car fire rapidly, and a person had left the car before the fire “developed to the extent that it did.”


World News

Local News