Connect with us

World News

Connor Reed, the North Wales man said to be the first Brit to catch covid-19 dies



A 26-year-old man Connor Reed, from Llandudno has been pronounced dead in his Bangor University apartment on Sunday, October 25 2020.

His mum while speaking of her heartbreak after her son a North Wales man said to be the first Brit to catch coronavirus died at his university halls of residence.

He had been working at a college in Wuhan in China when he caught the virus.

His mum Hayley, who lives in Australia, has now confirmed that Mr Reed had returned to the UK from China and was undertaking a degree in Chinese language at Bangor University when tragedy struck.

She said in a post on Facebook that he had died following a “tragic accident”.

Speaking to the Sun, she said her son had “endured a lot of hardship in China” after catching the virus before having to endure a strict lockdown.

She said: “To say Connor had a sense of adventure was an understatement.

“When he told us he was going to learn Chinese we didn’t really believe him but he knuckled down and went on his own to China and in a few years was speaking fluent Mandarin.

“Over the last six months he endured a lot of hardship in China contracting Covid and having over 20 weeks lockdown under strict conditions.”

She added: “He endured more lockdown than anyone we have even known – 16 weeks harsh lockdown in Wuhan, two weeks in Australia and a further three weeks in the UK.

“We are both broken-hearted that his adventures came to an end at Bangor University where he was studying for a degree in Chinese language with what looks like a tragic accident.

“We will never know where his ambition and drive would have taken him.

“We would like to give Connor the funeral he deserves in the UK and also Australia.

“We will not be able to attend his funeral in the UK due to the coronavirus restriction.

“Therefore we will make sure we all celebrate his life at his home in Australia.”

Following Mr Reed’s death, North Wales Police said: “Shortly after 10 pm on Sunday 25th of October, North Wales Police were requested by the ambulance service to attend at a student’s room at a Bangor University halls of residence.

“Regrettably, despite the best efforts of friends and paramedics, a 26-year-old male student was pronounced dead at the location.

“The death is not being treated as suspicious and the coroner for North West Wales, Mr Dewi Pritchard Jones has been informed.”

A Bangor University spokesperson said: “Our thoughts are with the student’s family and friends at this very sad time.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


World News

Local News