EU governments on Monday endorsed Nigeria’s candidacy for the post of Director-General of the World Trade Organization, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, as the race enters its final month.
According to Bloomberg, EU governments in Brussels have agreed to nominate South Korean candidate Yu Myung-hee, the country’s trade minister, as the second candidate for the post.
Hungary passed the only EU-free country on Friday that retained the support of low-level officials representing the bloc representing the bloc last Friday 27.
Five candidates are still vying for the presidency of the WTO.
The rest of the candidates were all current or former ministers, something business officials had previously said was a possible feature for the future CEO.
They are Muhammad Maziad Al-Tuwaijri, the former Minister of Economy and Planning of Saudi Arabia. Liam Fox, former United Kingdom Secretary of State for International Trade նախարար Kenya’s Minister of International Trade Amina Chawahir Mohamed Ibril.
The WHO planned to announce the two finalists after October 6 and recognize the winner by November 7.
Brazilian Roberto Azevedo resigned at the end of August, a year before the end of his term.
The Geneva-based trading body faced a lack of tools to overcome the coronavirus epidemic, the US-China trade war, the chaotic arbitrage system, and growing challenges, such as industrial subsidies.
- Nigerian President Buhari appoints four new permanent secretaries in Abuja
- #EndSars protest In Edo: Thugs Attack Prison In Oko, Free many prisoners
- MP Carlos Kingsley Ahenkorah to face resignation or be fired after he allowed a interview with the radio station houses in Accra
- What Did The Nigerian Billionaire Ray Hushpuppi Did To Be Arrested By Interpol
- JUST IN: Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has approved special salary measures for teachers
- Nigerian Army Recruitment 2020, How To Apply, When & Last Date For Application
- Edo state Official & Unofficial Election Result September 19th 2020, Live Update
- Tunde Braimoh reportedly dies of Covid-19 complications at the isolation center in Yaba