A man too desperate to know the gender of the child his wife was carrying in her womb allegedly split open her belly.
The 43-year-old man identified as Pannalal assulted his wife Anita Devi, 35, with a sharp-edged weapon on Saturday night , September 19, at their home in Budaun in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh, The Times of India reported.
She was rushed to a Bareilly hospital in a serious condition. Her baby in the womb was unhurt, but Anita’s condition deteriorated due to severe damage and excessive bleeding from the attack.
Confirming the attack, Civil Lines Police Station SHO, Sudhakar Pandey said the man got into an argument with his wife who is six to seven months pregnant over fear that their next child would also be a girl.
“A priest had predicted that their sixth child would also be a girl. Pannalal then attacked Anita with a sickle on her abdomen to kill the fetus after she refused to have an abortion.”
Their neighbors arrived at the scene and rushed Anita to the district hospital, the police said.
The SHO told the publication that the woman’s husband has been detained over the attack.
“We have detained the accused and he is being questioned,” Sudhakar said while adding that they are waiting for a written complaint from the woman’s family to register a case.
Anita’s younger brother, Ravi Kumar said, “My brother-in-law used to beat up my sister often for giving birth to five daughters. Even my parents tried to resolve the problem, but no one had ever imagined that he would take such a cruel step.”
- JUST IN: Police officer shot dead at Croydon Police Station in South London
- Doctor Dies Unexpectedly One Week After The Death Of A Child At His Clinic
- Huntington Avenue Shooting: 25-year-old man shoots himself after shooting his girlfriend in Worcester
- Rideshare driver rubbed and shot multiple times near SW & Westwood, rushed to the hospital
- Two Men Arrested For Alleged Rape and Murder Of A 74yr Pietermaritzburg Woman
- See The Scene Where Two Los Angeles County Sheriff Officers Were Ambushed in Compton.. Both Were Shot In The Head (Video)
- Marlowe Shooting: One man is dead and a second male in grave medical condition
- Young mother of a five-year-old daughter loses an eye after she was attack with caustic soda in Spain