There is new wave bacteria infection called a flesh-eating bacteria discovered in Long Island Sound which has already Infected five persons.
Connecticut health officials have started warning residents after a string of the infections of the scary bacteria was found in the Long Island Sound.
About five individuals in the state have been diagnosed with a rare infection, called Vibrio vulnificus, which can result in intensive care, limb amputation and necrotizing fasciitis — also known as flesh-eating bacteria — according to the Connecticut Department of Health.
“The identification of these five cases over two months is very concerning,” said Dr. Matthew Cartter, the state epidemiologist for the Health Department. “This suggests the Vibrio bacteria may be present in salt or brackish water in or near Long Island Sound, and people should take precautions.”
Health officials reported one new case in July and four new cases in August, all in adults between the ages of 49 and 85 years old. In comparison, Connecticut reported a total of just seven cases total between 2010 and 2019.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, Vibrio is the same genus of bacteria that more commonly causes infections from raw or undercooked shellfish.
The much rarer Vibrio vulnificus bacteria can cause life-threatening illness if an open wound is exposed to infected shellfish or the brackish water they live in.
The CDC warns anyone with recent wounds, including those from recent surgery, piercing, or tattoos, to stay out of saltwater.
They also recommend covering any wounds with waterproof bandages if there is a chance it might be exposed to seawater, and to wash the area thoroughly with soap and water if it does.
Similarly, Last year on July 15, 2019 it was reported that a man from Tennessee died just 2 days after contracting Flesh-Eating Bacteria in Florida.
According to Prevention.com, The Tennessee man died less than 48 hours after being infected with a flesh-eating bacteria during a trip to Florida.
Dave Bennett’s daughter, Cheryl Bennett Wiygul, wrote in a lengthy Facebook post that her father died from Vibrio vulnificus. “Flesh-eating bacteria sounds like an urban legend. Let me assure you that it is not. It took my Dad’s life. This is so raw and personal to me that I did not want to post about it, but if I can help one person, then it is worth it,” she wrote.
Wiygul said that she had heard of a similar case nearby where a 12-year-old girl contracted bacteria that turned into necrotizing fasciitis, but said that there should be more awareness of flesh-eating bacteria.
Bennett had cancer and his immune system was compromised, and Wiygul said she was “fanatical” about protecting him. “I feel like I should have known and that is something I will live with for the rest of my life,” she said. Because Bennett suffered from cancer, he was more susceptible to flesh-eating bacteria, she said, but he had “been in the water several times so it didn’t seem like a risk.”
Wiygul said that her parents had a great time during their vacation and that her dad was “happy and talkative, seemed to feel fine as he did all week,” on Friday night. “About 4:00 a.m. Saturday morning, 12 hours after we were in the water, he woke up with a fever, chills and some cramping.”
I Was Right!.., Crespo Reveals What He Told Lautaro Martinez About Barcelona’s Offer
Sao Paulo coach and former Inter Striker, Hernan Crespo has revealed that he told Lautaro Martinez about Barcelona when they...
It Wasn’t Easy, Even 10 Against 11 – Zidane Speaks On Their 1-0 Win Against Atalanta
What Many People Will Do If Messi Leaves Barcelona – Asensi
Irish Former Rugby Player, Gary Halpin Dies At 55
EPL: What I Want To Give Everyone At Tottenham – Mourinho
BC Basketball Loses One Of Their Officials & Coach, Felix Gonzalez
Lukaku Reveals The Opportunity Chelsea Gave Him When He Was A Kid
Is Emma Watson getting married? Why did she decide to retire from acting – Few thing you need to know
Who has this new rumour, our own Emma Watson is about to retire from acting. Yes Emma said she will...
Natasha Thahane Says She’s Feeling Homesick.., Reveals She Hasn’t Seen Her Family Since Christmas
South African actress, Natasha Thahane has made it public that she is feeling homesick. The star made this known to...
Former K24 tv presenter Betty Kyallo set to join KTN, shares a new pic on Twitter to celebrate her new job
Kenya media personality and TV girl gets a new job and guess what she got this time!! Betty is coming...
Kenyan DJ Kennedy Munene Kaburu dies in a tragic car accident weeks after asking fans to pray for life
Kenyan DJ Kennedy Munene Kaburu known popularly as Djstarboy dies after few weeks of telling his fans on Instagram to...
Nigerian singer Banky W set to release a news song following the arrival of their baby boy Hazaiah
Popular Nigerian singer Banky W has officially given a name to his new son ‘Hazaiah and Olusegun’ that’s what he...
VIDEO: The Moment A Thief Snatched Dr Tumi’s Phone From Him While He Was Making A Call
Guys, be careful when you’re on your phone, just look around you.. Look what happened to Dr Tumi yesterday. A...
“Alexa i need daddy” – This young boy adds ‘Daddy’ on the list of shopping items he needs
An interaction between the AI speaker and the 2-year-old child sparks outrageous the internet. The video which has gone viral...