Home World News What is Vibrio vulnificus – Flesh-eating bacteria discovered in Long Island...

What is Vibrio vulnificus – Flesh-eating bacteria discovered in Long Island Sound, Five Infected


There is new wave bacteria infection called a flesh-eating bacteria discovered in Long Island Sound which has already Infected five persons.

Connecticut health officials have started warning residents after a string of the infections of the scary bacteria was found in the Long Island Sound.

About five individuals in the state have been diagnosed with a rare infection, called Vibrio vulnificus, which can result in intensive care, limb amputation and necrotizing fasciitis — also known as flesh-eating bacteria — according to the Connecticut Department of Health.

“The identification of these five cases over two months is very concerning,” said Dr. Matthew Cartter, the state epidemiologist for the Health Department. “This suggests the Vibrio bacteria may be present in salt or brackish water in or near Long Island Sound, and people should take precautions.”

Health officials reported one new case in July and four new cases in August, all in adults between the ages of 49 and 85 years old. In comparison, Connecticut reported a total of just seven cases total between 2010 and 2019.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, Vibrio is the same genus of bacteria that more commonly causes infections from raw or undercooked shellfish.

The much rarer Vibrio vulnificus bacteria can cause life-threatening illness if an open wound is exposed to infected shellfish or the brackish water they live in.

The CDC warns anyone with recent wounds, including those from recent surgery, piercing, or tattoos, to stay out of saltwater.

They also recommend covering any wounds with waterproof bandages if there is a chance it might be exposed to seawater, and to wash the area thoroughly with soap and water if it does.

Similarly, Last year on July 15, 2019 it was reported that a man from Tennessee died just 2 days after contracting Flesh-Eating Bacteria in Florida.

According to Prevention.com, The Tennessee man died less than 48 hours after being infected with a flesh-eating bacteria during a trip to Florida.

Dave Bennett’s daughter, Cheryl Bennett Wiygul, wrote in a lengthy Facebook post that her father died from Vibrio vulnificus. “Flesh-eating bacteria sounds like an urban legend. Let me assure you that it is not. It took my Dad’s life. This is so raw and personal to me that I did not want to post about it, but if I can help one person, then it is worth it,” she wrote.

Wiygul said that she had heard of a similar case nearby where a 12-year-old girl contracted bacteria that turned into necrotizing fasciitis, but said that there should be more awareness of flesh-eating bacteria.

Bennett had cancer and his immune system was compromised, and Wiygul said she was “fanatical” about protecting him. “I feel like I should have known and that is something I will live with for the rest of my life,” she said. Because Bennett suffered from cancer, he was more susceptible to flesh-eating bacteria, she said, but he had “been in the water several times so it didn’t seem like a risk.”

Wiygul said that her parents had a great time during their vacation and that her dad was “happy and talkative, seemed to feel fine as he did all week,” on Friday night. “About 4:00 a.m. Saturday morning, 12 hours after we were in the water, he woke up with a fever, chills and some cramping.”

Previous articleKatelyn Steinkamp Death – Katelyn Michelle Steinkamp, Tillamook Veterinary
Next articleMustapha Inuwa invited by the DSS for exposing a massive multi-billion Naira fraud In Katsina


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here