Connect with us

Featured

South Africa National Defence Force distances itself from a contract to supply 45 000 face masks

Published

on

The Department of Defense has distanced itself from a tender document for a contract to supply 45 000 face masks, labeling it a scam by fraudsters.

The Department of Defence (DOD) on Monday 10 August 2020 distanced itself from a tender document for a contract to supply 45 000 face masks, labeling it a scam by fraudsters.

In a statement revealed on Sunday, the department said it had been alerted to another fraudulent request for tender document using the official logos and letterhead of the department and the SA National Defence Force.

While speaking, the department spokesperson Siphiwe Dlamini revealed that the fraudsters had also started using the name of Defence Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula.

“The ministry and Department of Defence would like to distance the minister and all entities in her portfolio from this request,” Dlamini said.

“The use of the minister’s name is an attempt to steal from government and the department, and is an indication [of] how desperate fraudsters have become in their attempts to steal from the people of South Africa.

“The ministry and the department condemn in the strongest possible terms such behaviour from any quarter.”

Dlamini has added that Mapisa-Nqakula condemned corrupt acts and the ill-intended use of her name in an attempt to defraud the state.

“Minister Mapisa-Nqakula scorns with contempt at such blatant ill-intended corrupt acts. It must be noted that the Minister as the executive authority of the DOD, has no role in any procurement matters as these are dealt with by the relevant officials within the DOD Procurement environment.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

SPORTS

ENTERTAINMENT

HOT NOW!