World News

27-year-old Black American, Rayshard Brooks Killed By Atlanta Police

A 27-year-old African-American man was shot in the back and killed by Atlanta police Friday night, after someone complained he was sleeping in his car at a Wendy’s drive-thru.

In a video that was released online, the 27 year old, Rayshard Brooks was seen in a physical altercation with officers as they tried to take him into custody around 10:30 p.m. on Friday.

The shooting has prompted activists on Twitter to protest Brooks’ death, with many describing him as “unarmed.”

Brooks can be seen breaking away from the two police officers and running away in the parking lot. He managed to take a Taser from one of the officers before darting off, the Daily Mail reports.

One of the officers can be seen getting back to his feet and chasing after Brooks with his own Taser.

Moments later gunshots while Brooks took to his heels gunshots were heard, though neither Brooks nor the two officers can be seen in the video.

The officers initially were responding to a complaint that a male had fallen asleep in a vehicle parked in the drive-thru, forcing customers to drive around.

When Brooks failed a sobriety test, the officers tried to place him in custody, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Brooks instead resisted and a struggle began, leading the officer to draw his Taser. The GBI said that witnesses had seen Brooks wrestle the Taser away from the officer.

Deputy Atlanta Police Chief Timothy Peek mentioned that officers had tried multiple times to subdue Brooks with the Taser, but failed to disable him.

Reacting to the shooting video of Brooks, the Georgia NAACP In a statement Saturday called for Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields and Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms to be held “accountable for the continued threat on innocent Black lives in their community.”

“Atlantans woke up to disturbing videos and reports of Rayshard being killed by the Atlanta Police Department. At this time, we must address the over-saturated police presence in Atlanta’s Black communities. This is not the first time a Black man was killed for sleeping,” the organization said in a statement. “The City of Atlanta must address this not only with their words, but also with their actions and budgetary decisions.”

Georgia Democrat Stacey Abrams condemned the shooting on Twitter Saturday morning.

“The killing of #RayshardBrooks in Atlanta last night demands we severely restrict the use of deadly force. Yes, investigations must be called for – but so too should accountability,” Abrams wrote. “Sleeping in a drive-thru must not end in death.”

1. Beverly Vaughn

June 14, 2020 at 12:32 am

Eph 6: we wrestle not against flesh and blood…..LORD. WE CRY OUT….Praying for all family and friends if Rashard Brooks.

2. Debra Preslopsky

June 14, 2020 at 1:49 am

Just like all the other videos we have if you act like a animal you will be treated like one,it’s not only black people it’s just more black people because you do more crimes think about that, you don’t want to work, you want white people to carry the load,you get more benefits than any other race there is,hand outs,I wish I had some perks like you have instead I work for you and myself, you don’t want a better life you want a free,hateful, cop hating,government hating life etc. Your ignorant behavior is a product of your own suffering, poor,poor black people everything is always about you,you have it made shame on you, just stick with living in the projects and having 5 kids driving escalades and Mercedes that I pay for that I don’t drive, just thank me for all you have because you get it from us middle class white folk!!

• Tiffany Nicole

June 14, 2020 at 7:31 am

U sound like a racist piece of shit, your middle class ass probably can’t afford to take care of yourself or your family. and there are plenty of white ppl who recieve the same services as blacks, you might know them by trailer trash or your mammy!! Your piece of shit ass job doesn’t take care of a whole nation! You think you are better than us but news flash, for ppl who hated everything about us y’all try y’all best to fit in and adopt everything we invent and wish y’all Was one of us. Wake up and smell the coffee bitch!! We got our freedom and we will be damned if we let ya’ll take it from Us!!! It’s 2020 a New day and so sorry that we will never be what you stereotype us to be!! I bet u wouldn’t mind a black dick in your mouth

• Tami

June 14, 2020 at 3:44 pm

Bitch shut your racist ignorant ass up!!!!

June 14, 2020 at 7:10 pm

1st of all I’m not all white I’m half Japanese so I know about racism I grew up with it being called a jap all through out my life,and I can actually afford anything I want,anything, why because I’ve worked for them!! I do live in a nice house not big not small, drive hummer h2’s, 3 of them and I’m 61 not a kid,pro military and btw my grandson kiel is biracial,is in the army and is white and black,I am the most non racist person you will ever meet I’m just being honest and voicing my opinion on what I am seeing and witnessing BLM doing,it’s not about George floyd dying anymore, it’s about bullshit and destruction of our cities for no reason and demands of outrageous things really!! My family which is from Japanese descent was in the War a horrific bomb that killed millions and many suffered, you know nothing even close to what I’ve been through about racism and war,I’m being a person that is so very humble,lucky to live in the greatest country in America and never would I destroy it,this is for you and all the other replies,I have also seen more devestation than you’ll ever seen in your life not from people rioting but from a war bomb,so I’m sticking to the things I’ve said because it’s true in my eyes because of the actions being seen if it was generated from more of another race Asian,white etc.then I would have said the same thing,not calling out the black people!!

June 14, 2020 at 7:24 pm

I also don’t have any ancestry to KKK blood in me and have never had slaves in my family, but my family is pro all military and pro police,pro sheriff and pro state trooper,etc,it would be unfortunate if anyone would be in a horrific situation that would have to call 911 and no one is there to answer because there is no police,what would you actually do,child,mother,father other family members no police when someone is beating you up or worse good luck your on your own!!

June 14, 2020 at 11:27 pm

I’ll have to also point out my father was in the Vietnam War severed 4 tours he was a medical dr and saw horrible/horrific things,saved alot of lives but didn’t choose them by the color of their skin, he did it because he needed to save them and or keep them alive! When my father came back to the United states people hated him and all the service men and women who were in the military just because of the war they were told to fight,he and many others suffered from PTSD,because of it until one day when I was 15 on a friday afternoon I came home from highschool,he was DEAD! Don’t tell me about racism I know it probably better than you and suffered more,but I don’t hold anyone accountable for it or make anyone pay for it and change for what it did to me and my own family suffering and death it is what it is it happened and it’s part of my history and some of it I can’t change no matter what, so be it,your not the only ones that have ever suffered,orher peoples have had wars and other suffering way worse and they have moved on,living in their dream in the United states of America land of the free!!

June 15, 2020 at 12:41 am

Wow very intelligent how old are you your parents are very proud for you to tell a person that would like a black dick in their mouth,sounds to me a personal preference and regular accourance in your life, congratulations!!

• P L

June 14, 2020 at 7:51 am

First of all BITCH you don’t pay for shit in my house nor my children’s !
      Second you must be illiterate as well is retarded for pretending to be blind to your KKK ancestors who ripped our families apart with that damn horses and slave trades

Bitch you and your blood relatives owe us for slaves in uour houses because your blood and probably you too, 2 fucking lazy to grow your own damn crops so you’d rather beat a man and his children to death until you have your way

Again bitch you don’t pay for shit in my house and I don’t drive a Mercedes even though I could if I wanted to
      You would not be thinking this way if it were your son

Sure he was wrong for running but they didn’t have to shoot h dead

They could have got in those $100000 police vehicles or ran after him instead of being lazy far cops and taking a shot
      No value on human lives like your dumb bitch ass thinking you pay my ducking bills dummy

Don’t even waste your time replying. I’m chilling and praying for your stupid ignorant dumb ass and your children!

• Nicole

June 14, 2020 at 8:59 am

Shut the hell up. You sound dumb. You’re an idiot

• Nicole

June 14, 2020 at 9:07 am

40% of WHITE people are on welfare compared to 25.7% of African Americans. Please check your facts before you open your ignorant, uninformed mouth. Thank you

• Kevin P. Eagan

June 14, 2020 at 11:07 am

You out your mind lady put bs on here like that. So someone beat your ass and defend yourself is acting like animal. You mental case!!

June 14, 2020 at 7:28 pm

1st off no one is going to beat my ass,no fucking way not mine!!

• Black women

June 14, 2020 at 3:18 pm

Bitch there’s plenty of middle class black people as well. You sound hella dumb. I don’t get shit from the government and take care of all my children on my own. People should comply but that still doesn’t always work. You can’t speak on it because your lily white ass would NEVER understand. Just like you have white, Mexican, blue, pink, thugs there’s black ones. It’s not that we commit more crime we are just the only ones being killed for it idiot. I’m not even speaking on this case but many others. You need help. You’re the devil. White people wont last anyway. While we are having 5 kids y’all only having one or two that won’t even stay home and take care of you guys. So then you end up with a Mexican or black to take care of your evil ass. No cousin because y’all had no kids. Ok lonely Becky

June 14, 2020 at 7:42 pm

We also have plenty of black friends we’ve had for along time that don’t support your cause, not in your violent, destructive behavior, only civil behavior!

June 14, 2020 at 7:46 pm

Not lonely becky 3 kids,6 grandkids 1 greatgrandson, husband is 1 of 6 children now what!!

June 14, 2020 at 7:49 pm

Oh yeah I forgot we have a 38ft motorhome to take our 3yr greatgrandson on vacation whenever we want so to loneliness!!

• Tami

June 14, 2020 at 3:43 pm

Bitch shut your racist ignorant ass up!!!!

• Gabbilicious

June 17, 2020 at 4:30 am

What are you talking about witch. History calls that you were the looters and criminals but you don’t see no one calling out of your name. White guys get drunk and act belligerent but they don’t end up dead on the street. You’re racist piece of shit.

3. Valerie Laster

June 14, 2020 at 3:18 am

These low level white pieces of shit always are more than ready to kill and murder. This man is now dead because he was inebriated and had the sense enough to not drive but sleep it off and he ends up dead. And again, these “officers” need to be dealt with harshly. These pos could have check on him and reassure him he was doing the right thing….I don’t give a shit if they start getting murdered and dying.

• Damon Wilson

June 14, 2020 at 5:47 am

But he wasn’t doing the right thing. AT ALL. He passed out in the drive thru AFTER DRIVING THERE DRUNK. He could have killed someone drunk driving. Then fought the officers and took their weapon from them? There is literally nothing innocent about Brooks. He broke the law, attacked police, and lost.

• Nicole

June 14, 2020 at 9:02 am

So what you’re saying, Damon, is that he deserved to be SHOT to DEATH in the BACK because he drunkenly fought the cops and ran away? Would that have happened if he was white? I doubt it.

June 14, 2020 at 7:38 pm

That’s right thank you,from one wilson to another my maiden name is debra Wilson!!

4. DeQuan Johnson

June 14, 2020 at 3:50 am

A guy committing a crime resisted arrest, pulled a taser off a cop and got shot.

What’s next? Are we going to be shocked when 2 plus 2 equals 4? Because if you want to get shot, committing a crime, fighting a cop trying to arrest you and trying to point something gun shaped at them is pretty much the equation for how to get shot.

• Nicole

June 14, 2020 at 9:11 am

Would he have been shot so quickly if he was white? No. Was he an immediate threat to the officers life? No, a taser won’t kill them. That’s excessive force. He was running not driving. He couldn’t have gotten far. They could have just taken his car and called it a day but they love shooting black people

June 14, 2020 at 11:38 pm

Sometimes getting shot and dying is better than getting a bomb thrown on your country and you not dying and suffering from nypon burns is a godsend from my Japanese people everyone has a story not only blacks,Germans,Jews,etc!!

June 15, 2020 at 2:35 am

Wow really what drugs are you love killing black people,just like cops love getting run over,beat up and killed by people!!

June 14, 2020 at 7:51 pm

Right on

June 14, 2020 at 10:56 pm

Right on means absolutely we are all out for the blacks of course that is not fucking true,but they think it is,wow planet of the apes had smart er apes than there are here,especially Ceaser,take some lessons from him!!

5. Cindy Phillips

June 14, 2020 at 8:58 pm

Drunk, the guy was drunk. The police knew that, they did a sobriety test. I don’t know about anyone else but if I was drunk I don’t know how I would react. He was drunk and woke up to chaos. I’d like to think I would comply, I mean if sober I know I would. But he was running away, albeit with stolen taser in hand, but he was shot in the back from my understanding. Every situation demands different reactions. Seems excessive.

6. Ryan Oconnell

June 14, 2020 at 11:22 pm

Why are so many white people against the idea that the police racially and socially profile people? I’m white, and while I can’t speak on the type of torment black people are subjected to constantly! When i was a teenager I was constantly pulled over and accused of being drunk or stoned while I was a straight edge kid! Racism happens. Everyday. It’s not hard to believe.

7. Debra Preslopsky

June 15, 2020 at 12:35 am

8. Debra Preslopsky

June 16, 2020 at 12:49 am

Wow nice 911 call from lady at wendy’s, saying Brooks was intoxicated and she tried to wake him up,blocking drive thru,she didn’t say sleeping she said intoxicated, big difference, facts,facts before judgement, policeman should not be fired not before due justice,both officers defended themselves period, Brooks instigated the situation totally!!